Which level of Government can help?

Which level of Government can help?

In Australia, we have three different levels of government: Local, State and Federal. Each level of government is responsible for delivering specific services to our community. If you are unsure about which level of government is responsible for addressing a particular issue, please contact my office and I can direct you to the right place.

NSW State Government

The following issues are the responsibility of State Government:

  • Community Health and Dental
  • Public Hospitals
  • Education
  • Land and Water Management
  • Industrial Relations
  • Primary Industries and Agriculture
  • Public Housing
  • Main Roads
  • Public Works
  • Emergency Services
  • National Parks
  • Public Transport
  • Ageing and Disability
  • Community Services
  • Police
  • Fair Trading
  • Multiculturalism
  • Medical Research

If your problem falls into one of the categories above I may be able to help by seeking information and making representations to the relevant Minister.

Local Government

The following issues are the responsibility of Local Government:

​​If your issue is in the following list, you need to contact Cessnock City Council, Lake Macquarie City Council or Singleton Council.

  • Local roads and footpaths
  • Rubbish collection
  • Rates
  • Sporting fields and parks
  • Street lighting and signage
  • Residential and commercial development
  • Animal control

Federal Issues

If you have a Federal Government issue you should contact your local Federal Member. The Electorate is covered by either Meryl Swanson MP (Member for Paterson) or Dan Repacholi MP (Member for Hunter).

  • Taxation
  • Aged Care
  • Trade
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Higher Education
  • Defence
  • Aviation and Shipping
  • Telecommunications
  • National Highways
  • Veterans’ Affairs
  • Medicare
  • Centrelink
  • Child Support

Congratulatory Messages

My office can organise congratulatory messages for 50th, 60th, 65th and 70th Wedding Anniversaries and for 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays from the Governor, Prime Minister, Premier and Federal MPs.

The King and Governor-General will also send special messages for 60th Wedding Anniversaries and 100th birthdays.

You will need to provide supporting documentation like a birth certificate or marriage certificate (photocopies of originals are accepted). If these are not available you can provide a statutory declaration.

State Flags

It is NSW Government policy to provide a New South Wales State Flag, free of charge, to scout groups, guide districts, recognised youth associations, and selected nonprofit, charitable and community groups. In order to be eligible, the recipient organisation must have access to facilities which permit the proper flying or display of the flag on a regular basis.

Eligible groups

Charitable and community organisations that can demonstrate the need and appropriate use of a State Flag may be entitled.

If you are eligible and would like to request a State Flag, please send your request in writing to my office.

Did you know that in addition to a State Flag, NSW has a state flower, bird, gemstone, fish, animal and fossil. To find out more, click here.

Justice of the Peace Services

Finding a JP

Information about finding a JP is available on the NSW Justice Department website here. You can choose to either contact a local JP by using the Public Register, or attend a scheduled JP service at your convenience.

Becoming a JP

Becoming a Justice of the Peace takes approximately 3-4 months, and the application process is handled by the NSW Department of Communities and Justice. To begin the process of becoming a JP, please complete the online application process here.

Visiting Parliament House

NSW Parliament is located on Macquarie Street, Sydney, and is the oldest Parliament in the country. NSW Parliament is also the longest-serving, uninterrupted parliamentary democracy in the world. Parliament sits for roughly 20 weeks each year and is open to the public. You can see the current sitting calendar here.

Individual visitors

I’d be happy to arrange a tour if you’re interested in visiting Parliament. With notice, I can also have you formally welcomed by the Speaker of the House during Question Time.

School groups

I am always delighted to welcome school groups from the Cessnock Electorate to Parliament House. Please contact my office in advance to schedule a time to meet your school group.

Watch online

You can also watch Parliament live online.