Raising the BARR – Week ending 26 August 2016

Raising the Barr

NSW Government State Representative Award

For a number of years, the NSW Government State Representative Award has been recognising people who have represented the State of NSW in a competitive field.

Nominees of any age, who have represented NSW in a competitive field, whether it is sport, music, the arts or academic, either nationally or internationally, can be nominated for the Award.

The current nomination form can be obtained either by contacting my office or be downloaded from the website of the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet at www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/programs_and_services/nsw_government_awards. The nomination form must be filled out and then signed by a referee (e.g. coach or instructor) who is an official representative of the NSW state organisation for which the nominee has been selected to represent NSW.

Following the competition, the completed nomination form is then submitted to the nominee’s local NSW State Member of Parliament for endorsement and submission to the Protocol and Special Events Branch of the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet.

Further information regarding the Award can be obtained from the above-mentioned website, by email to awards@dpc.nsw.gov.au or by phoning Protocol and Special Events on 9228 5016.

School Zone Offences

A reminder about some of the road signs located around schools and on streets and what the signs mean.

There are monetary penalties and demerit points for disobeying the signs which are issued by Cessnock City Council Rangers and/or NSW Police.  If you receive a penalty notice, not knowing or understanding the meaning of the signs is not a valid defence when appealing to State Debt Recovery for the penalty to be reviewed.

  • No Parking:  You have 2 minutes to drop-off or pick up but you must stay in your vehicle or within 3 metres of your vehicle.
  • No Stopping:  You cannot drop off or pick up a passenger – under no circumstances are you permitted to stop.
  • Bus Zone:  You must not stop your vehicle in a bus zone unless you are driving a public bus – you cannot drop off or pick up a passenger.
  • Speed Signs:  Must be strictly observed.
  • School Zone Speed Signs:  Must be strictly observed during designated school times, this includes pupil free days as this is still a gazetted school day.  Even if your school breaks up early, school zones still apply.

Are You Eligible?

The NSW Office of Environment and Heritage is offering discounts on fridges and TVs to eligible members of the public so that they can be replaced with new, energy efficient models.

To be eligible you must meet the following conditions:

  • Be a NSW resident
  • Hold one of the following valid concession cards:
    • Pensioner Concession Card
    • Health Care Card or Low Income Health Care Card from Centrelink
    • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card
  • Own a fridge six years old, or older, and want to replace it OR
  • Own a plasma or cathode ray tube (CRT) television and want to replace it

The offer is:

  • a 40% discount on the cost of a fridge.
  • a 50% discounton the cost of a TV.

If you’re eligible you can:

  • Choose from a range of energy efficient fridges and TVs from retail partner The Good Guys.
  • Have your new appliance delivered to your home and installed.
  • Have your old appliance removed and recycled.

The program permits the purchase of a maximum of one fridge and one TV per household.

Installation and removal cannot be guaranteed for areas more than 50km from one of The Good Guys stores.  To confirm if installation and removal is available in your area, please contact The Good Guys on 1300 601 795.

TV installation does not include channel tuning, connecting the TV to other devices or wall mounting.

The discounts are being funded by the NSW Government through the Home Energy Action Program.  The Program runs until 30 June 2017 and discounts are available only during this time and are subject to Government funding and the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) approval.  Applying online does not form a contract between you and OEH.

Applications can only be made online at: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/households/appliance-replacement-offer.htm

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

For enquiries regarding the State Government or its departments, or to put you in contact with someone who can, please contact my office.  My office can be contacted by phoning 4991-1466, by email to cessnock@parliament.nsw.gov.au or call into 118 Vincent Street (PO Box 242), Cessnock 2325. 

You also follow me on my Facebook page “www.facebook.com/claytonbarrmp”, go to Twitter and search @claytonbarrmp or check out my website at www.claytonbarr.com.au

Cheers Clayton