Applications for the 2016 round of Housing NSW Youth Scholarship Program are now open and will close at 5pm on Friday July 31, 2015, Clayton Barr, MP, State Member for the Electorate of Cessnock said today.
The Family and Community Services Youth Scholarship Program assists eligible students living in social housing or on the NSW Housing Register to complete their HSC or TAFE equivalent.
“The scholarship consists of a one off payment of $1,500 which is administered by the school or TAFE College on behalf of the student.” Mr Barr said.
The funds can be used to purchase items or services which help the students complete the HSC or TAFE equivalent and can include: text books and stationery, course costs and excursions, computer software and printer, private tutoring or coaching.
Students must be:
- Living in social housing in NSW (public housing, Aboriginal housing, community housing), living in crisis accommodation or on the NSW Housing Register (waiting list)
- Studying in Year 11 or 12 at a NSW high school or TAFE college for the HSC or TAFE equivalent in 2016
- Aged 25 years or under on 1 December 2016
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Not earning an income higher than the NSW social housing eligibility limits (if earning an income).
However, a student who has previously been awarded a Housing NSW HSC Youth Scholarship cannot apply again.
“I would encourage eligible students to apply for the scholarship. There are 266 scholarships on offer across the State.”
Guidelines and the application form are available on the Housing NSW website at www.housing.nsw.gov.au or for more information, telephone: 1300 468 746 (Housing Contact Centre) or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org